Monday, August 10, 2015

Dress Up

    When we were little we all used to play dress up. And as you got older you would only dress up for special occasions, maybe a dress here a tie there. But what I’m learning about the world of professionalism is how to dress like an adult. Throughout college, my go to outfit was a pair of leggings, Toms, and a tank top. Now I know this won’t cut it in the professional world and it’s time for me to look for something a little more grown up. The problem for me is that right now, shopping is a nightmare. I am in the midst of losing weight through Weight Watchers, which has been going wonderfully, however I’m still not my goal weight yet. Being a curvy woman makes shopping difficult to begin with, but add size fluctuation and it becomes even more frustrating. Although it’s not fun shopping for professional clothes right now, I know it’s something I can’t avoid much longer.

    When I think about my future self, I see a woman who is poised, dressed perfectly and professionally with a great job and who ultimately has her life together. As of now, I am none of those things, but I think it all comes one step at a time. My first step, aside from applying to jobs, is looking the part. As much as it pains me, I have to trade in my leggings for trousers and my tank tops for blazers.

    Since this is new territory for me, it can be difficult to decide how I feel about this. On the one hand, I’m excited to move forward with my life and be the woman I see myself becoming. On the other hand, there is a loss I’m beginning to feel as my college self starts to slip away to be replaced by the more sophisticated model of me. Don’t get me wrong, sophisticated is a good thing, but being able to throw on whatever you want and go to class was pretty nice too.

    I think in the end, growing up and nostalgia go hand in hand, but there must be a balance. There is always going to be a longing for those comfortable college years, but I know as much as I want to live in my yoga pants and flip flops, eventually I have to move on to more adult things like button downs and heels. I know getting there won’t be easy, but my future self will thank me for all the effort when she’s impeccably dressed. And one day the sophisticated me will look back and smile with only a twinge of nostalgia because the future holds even brighter things.

No comments:

Post a Comment